In this lesson, students apply their understanding of rational coordinates and distance in the coordinate plane to construct polygons and navigate a maze. Students plot coordinates in all four quadrants and find horizontal and vertical distances.
- Determine the total length of multiple horizontal and vertical segments in the coordinate plane that are connected end-to-end.
- Draw a polygon in the coordinate plane given the coordinates for its vertices.
- Explain (orally) that coordinates can be a useful way of describing geometric figures or modeling real-world locations.
Let’s use the coordinate plane to solve problems and puzzles.
Provide students access to graph paper and colored pencils for the lesson synthesis or upon request during the lesson.
- I can find the lengths of horizontal and vertical segments in the coordinate plane.
- I can plot polygons on the coordinate plane when I have the coordinates for the vertices.
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.