Decide if each is a measurement of length, area, volume, or weight (or mass).
- How many centimeters across a handprint
- How many square inches of paper needed to wrap a box
- How many gallons of water in a fish tank
- How many pounds in a bag of potatoes
- How many feet across a swimming pool
- How many ounces in a bag of grapes
- How many liters in a punch bowl
- How many square feet of grass in a lawn
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.(From Unit 3, Lesson 2.)
Clare says, “This classroom is 11 meters long. A meter is longer than a yard, so if I measure the length of this classroom in yards, I will get less than 11 yards.” Do you agree with Clare? Explain your reasoning.
Tyler’s height is 57 inches. What could be his height in centimeters?
A large soup pot holds 20 quarts. What could be its volume in liters?
Clare wants to mail a package that weighs \(4\frac12\) pounds. What could this weight be in kilograms?
Noah bought 15 baseball cards for $9.00. Assuming each baseball card costs the same amount, answer the following questions.
- At this rate, how much will 30 baseball cards cost? Explain your reasoning.
- At this rate, how much will 12 baseball cards cost? Explain your reasoning.
- Do you think this information would be better represented using a table or a double number line? Explain your reasoning.
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.(From Unit 2, Lesson 13.)
Jada traveled 135 miles in 3 hours. Andre traveled 228 miles in 6 hours. Both Jada and Andre traveled at a constant speed.
- How far did Jada travel in 1 hour?
- How far did Andre travel in 1 hour?
- Who traveled faster? Explain or show your reasoning.
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.(From Unit 2, Lesson 9.)