A chef is making pickles. He needs 15 gallons of vinegar. The store sells 2 gallons of vinegar for \$3.00 and allows customers to buy any amount of vinegar. Decide whether each of the following ratios correctly represents the price of vinegar.
- 4 gallons to \$3.00
- 1 gallon to \$1.50
- 30 gallons to \$45.00
- \$2.00 to 30 gallons
- \$1.00 to \(\frac23\) gallon
A caterer needs to buy 21 pounds of pasta to cater a wedding. At a local store, 8 pounds of pasta cost \$12. How much will the caterer pay for the pasta there?
- Write a ratio for the given information about the cost of pasta.
- Would it be more helpful to write an equivalent ratio with 1 pound of pasta as one of the numbers, or with \$1 as one of the numbers? Explain your reasoning, and then write that equivalent ratio.
- Find the answer and explain or show your reasoning.
Lin is reading a 47-page book. She read the first 20 pages in 35 minutes.
- If she continues to read at the same rate, will she be able to complete this book in under 1 hour?
If so, how much time will she have left? If not, how much more time is needed? Explain or show your reasoning.
Diego can type 140 words in 4 minutes.
- At this rate, how long will it take him to type 385 words?
- How many words can he type in 15 minutes?
If you get stuck, consider creating a table.
A train that travels 30 miles in \(\frac13\) hour at a constant speed is going faster than a train that travels 20 miles in \(\frac12\) hour at a constant speed. Explain or show why.
Find the surface area of the polyhedron that can be assembled from this net. Show your reasoning.