In grade 3, students found sums and differences within 1,000. Students analyzed and used different algorithms based on place value, including the standard algorithm. As students work with larger numbers in grade 4, they recognize that the standard algorithm is a reliable and efficient way to add and subtract within 1,000,000.
Grid paper should be made available but not required, as a tool to support aligning digits when adding and subtracting in each activity.
- Add multi-digit numbers, with composing, using the standard algorithm.
- Subtract multi-digit numbers, without decomposing, using the standard algorithm.
- Let’s find sums and differences of large numbers.
Materials to Gather
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Tic Tac Round (3–5), Stage 2: Any Place (Addressing)
- Number Puzzles: Addition and Subtraction (1–4), Stage 6: Beyond 1,000 (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.