Previously, students extended their knowledge of rounding to the nearest 1,000, 10,000, and 100,000. They began to generalize strategies for rounding any number within 1,000,000 to any place. In this lesson, students practice rounding such numbers and interpret the rounded numbers in context in order to solve problems. In doing so, they practice reasoning quantitatively and abstractly (MP2). Students also learn the benefits and limitations of rounding numbers when solving problems.
- Describe how rounding can help or hinder problem-solving.
- Round multi-digit whole numbers within 1,000,000 to solve problems.
- Let’s round large numbers to learn about situations and solve problems.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Mystery Number (1–4), Stage 5: Six-digit Numbers (Addressing)
- Tic Tac Round (3–5), Stage 1: Nearest Ten or Hundred (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.