Previously, students learned to build, read, name, and write multi-digit whole numbers up to six digits. They also developed an understanding of the relationship between a digit in one place and the same digit in the place immediately to its right. Through that work, students built their intuition for the relative size of numbers.
In this lesson, students use their understanding of place value to compare numbers and articulate how they reason about the size of the numbers. In doing so, they reinforce their understanding of place value and the base-ten number system (MP7). In communicating their thinking, they also practice attending to precision (MP6).
- Action and Expression
- Compare 2 multi-digit whole numbers within 1,000,000 using place value reasoning.
- Let’s compare large numbers.
- Each group of 2 needs a set of cards from the previous activity.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Greatest of Them All (1–5), Stage 3: Multi-digit Numbers (Addressing)
- Tic Tac Round (3–5), Stage 1: Nearest Ten or Hundred (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.