In previous lessons, students divided whole numbers by decimals and decimals by whole numbers, with the decimals always less than 1. The purpose of this lesson is for students to apply their understanding of the number of tenths and hundredths in 1 whole to divide a decimal greater than 1 by a decimal. Students use the same strategies that they have in previous lessons to find these quotients
- whole number facts combined with reasoning about place value
- using the relationship between multiplication and division
- Divide decimals greater than 1 by decimals less than 1.
- Let’s divide decimals by decimals.
Materials to Copy
- Small Grids
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Compare (1–5), Stage 6: Add and Subtract Fractions (Supporting)
- Would You Rather? (2–5), Stage 2: Compare to Smaller Units (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.