The purpose of this lesson is for students to represent decimals to the thousandths in different ways. First, students use hundredths grids to represent fractions and decimals and also write decimals representing a shaded region. Then students analyze language to describe a decimal represented on a hundredths grid, focusing on the value of each digit in a decimal and how it is represented in the corresponding diagram. These different ways of viewing a decimal lead naturally to the expanded form and word form of decimals which students will study in greater detail in future lessons.
- Represent fractions and decimals to thousandths on hundredths grids.
- Write fractions and decimals to thousandths to represent shaded amounts on hundredths grids.
- Let’s represent numbers as decimals, fractions, words, and on hundredths grids.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Mystery Number (1–4), Stage 5: Six-digit Numbers (Supporting)
- Get Your Numbers in Order (1–5), Stage 4: Denominators 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, or 100 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.