In a previous lesson, students found decimal sums in a way that made sense to them. In this lesson, students see that the standard algorithm for whole number addition, familiar from a previous course, also works for decimals. Students then estimate sums and find their values. Students are not required to use the standard algorithm, but see how it is an efficient way to add.Display the Decimal Addition chart from a previous lesson to be used during the lesson synthesis.
- Add decimals to the hundredths place using strategies based on place value.
- Let’s add decimals and think about whether our answers are reasonable.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Tic Tac Round (3–5), Stage 3: Decimals (Addressing)
- Greatest of Them All (1–5), Stage 4: Decimals (Addressing)
- Jump the Line (2–5), Stage 2: Add and Subtract Tenths and Hundredths (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.