The purpose of this lesson is for students to use strategies to add within 1,000.
In this lesson, students review a variety of strategies used to add within 1,000 with an emphasis on adding hundreds and hundreds, tens and tens, and ones and ones. Students should have access to base-ten blocks.
- Add within 1,000 in a way that makes sense to them.
- Let’s add numbers within 1,000.
Materials to Gather
|Activity 1||25 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
What strategies are students most comfortable using to add within 1,000? How will you leverage that student understanding in upcoming lessons on addition algorithms?
- Target Numbers (1–5), Stage 6: Add Hundreds, Tens, or Ones (Addressing)
- Five in a Row: Addition and Subtraction (1–2), Stage 8: Add within 1,000 with Composing (Addressing)
- Rectangle Rumble (3–5), Stage 2: Factors 1–5 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.