3.2 Area and Multiplication
- Students learn about area concepts and relate area to multiplication and to addition.
Section A Goals
- Describe area as the number of unit squares that cover a plane figure without gaps and overlaps.
- Measure the area of rectangles by counting unit squares.
Section B Goals
- Explain why the area of a rectangle can be determined by multiplying the side lengths.
- Solve problems involving the area of rectangles.
Section C Goals
- Find the area of figures composed of rectangles.