In this lesson, students interpret and relate multiplication expressions and diagrams that represent products of whole numbers and fractions. After matching expressions and diagrams in a card-sort activity, they practice using diagrams and expressions to find the result of multiplying a whole number and a fraction. They draw a diagram given a multiplication expression, or write an expression given a diagram (MP2).
Activity 1: Card Sort: Expressions and Diagrams
- Interpret diagrams and expressions that represent multiplication of a whole number and a unit fraction.
- Use diagrams and expressions to represent and find the product of a whole number and a unit fraction.
- Let’s look at diagrams and expressions that can help us multiply a whole number and a fraction.
Materials to Copy
- Expressions and Diagrams
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2.
|Activity 1||25 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Rolling for Fractions (3–5), Stage 1: Equivalent Fractions (Supporting)
- Compare (1–5), Stage 5: Fractions (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.