The purpose of this lesson is for students to find unknown side lengths given the perimeter of a shape and solve problems involving perimeter.
In previous lessons, students learned how to find the perimeter of shapes given all sides lengths or some side lengths. In this lesson, students use their understanding of perimeter to find missing side lengths when given the perimeter. Then, students solve problems in situations that involve perimeter. This lesson prepares students to think carefully about the difference between perimeter and area, which will be addressed in subsequent lessons.
- Find unknown side lengths given the perimeter of a shape.
- Solve problems that involve perimeters of shapes.
- Let’s solve problems about perimeter.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
How are students working toward multiplication and division fluency while solving perimeter problems?
- Can You Draw It? (1–5), Stage 3: Grade 3 Shapes (Addressing)
- Which One? (K–5), Stage 4: Grade 3 Shapes (Addressing)
- How Are They the Same? (1–5), Stage 3: Grade 3 Shapes (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.