In previous grades, students sorted shapes into categories based on the attributes of the shape. In this lesson, students revisit this work and learn the terms angle in a shape and right angle in a shape to describe the corners of shapes. This will be helpful in later lessons as students further sort triangles and rectangles by additional attributes. Throughout the lesson, if students have trouble determining if sides have the same length, offer rulers to measure the side lengths.
- Describe attributes of shapes.
- Sort shapes based on attributes in a way that makes sense to them.
- Let’s sort shapes into groups.
Materials to Copy
- Shape Cards Grade 3
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2.
|Activity 1||35 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Can You Draw It? (1–5), Stage 2: Grade 2 Shapes (Supporting)
- How Are They the Same? (1–5), Stage 2: Grade 2 Shapes (Supporting)
- Which One? (K–5), Stage 3: Grade 2 Shapes (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.