The purpose of this lesson is for students to represent and solve two-step word problems.
In this lesson, students are able to apply what they have learned in this section to write equations that represent two-step word problems using a letter for the unknown quantity. They persevere to solve two-step word problems, and decide if their answer makes sense (MP1).
- Represent and solve two-step word problems using equations with a letter standing for the unknown quantity.
- Let’s represent and solve problems.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Who has been sharing their ideas in class lately? Make a note of students whose ideas have not been featured in class and look for an opportunity for them to share their thinking in tomorrow’s lesson.
- Tic Tac Round (3–5), Stage 1: Nearest Ten or Hundred (Addressing)
- Number Puzzles: Addition and Subtraction (1–4), Stage 5: Within 1,000 (Addressing)
- Five in a Row: Multiplication (3–5), Stage 2: Factors 1–9 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.