In this lesson, students add and subtract fractions in a way that makes sense to them. They consider several important cases:
- The denominators of the two fractions are the same, which is review of work from a previous grade.
- One denominator is a multiple of the other so the fractions can be added by replacing only one of the fractions with an equivalent fraction.
- Neither denominator is a multiple of the other so a third new common denominator is needed to add the fractions.
- Action and Expression
Activity 2: Add and Subtract
- Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators in a way that makes sense to them.
- Let’s add and subtract fractions.
Materials to Copy
- Fraction Add and Subtract Sort
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Would You Rather? (2–5), Stage 3: Compare Units in a Given System (Addressing)
- Compare (1–5), Stage 6: Add and Subtract Fractions (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.