This lesson is optional because it does not address any new mathematical content standards. This lesson does provide students with an opportunity to apply precursor skills of mathematical modeling. In this lesson, students brainstorm and define categories of how to spend time. Then they collect and represent data on a line plot. They analyze and describe the data to tell a story about the time use.
When students define categories, choose and ask questions, collect and analyze data, and tell a story about the situation based on data, they model with mathematics (MP4).
- Create line plots and use the information to solve problems.
- Solve problems involving addition and subtraction of fraction with unlike denominators.
- Let’s find out about how students spend free time on the weekend.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Rectangle Rumble (3–5), Stage 5: Fraction Factors (Addressing)
- Rolling for Fractions (3–5), Stage 4: Multiply Fractions (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.