In this lesson, students use any strategy and representation to solve problems involving elapsed time. The problems involve unknowns in all positions: start time, end time, and duration. When students recognize the mathematical features of familiar real-world objects and use those features to solve problems, they model with mathematics (MP4).
- Solve problems involving addition and subtraction of time intervals in minutes.
- Let’s solve more problems involving time.
Materials to Gather
- Display students’ ideas from the lesson synthesis in the previous lesson.
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Number Puzzles: Addition and Subtraction (1–4), Stage 5: Within 1,000 (Supporting)
- Target Numbers (1–5), Stage 7: Subtract Hundreds, Tens, or Ones (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.