This lesson is optional because it goes beyond the depth of understanding required to address the standards.
Towards the beginning of the unit, students had the opportunity to create their own patterns and reproduce the patterns of others. Now that they have more experience with straightedge and compass constructions, they may have new ideas about creating designs. This would be a good opportunity to compare student work from a previous lesson in order to show progress. When students write their own instructions, they will need to attend to precision (MP6).
Technology isn't required for this lesson, but there are opportunities for students to choose to use appropriate technology to solve problems. We recommend making technology available.
The designs from the blackline master in this lesson are used with permission from the author.
- Create a new geometric pattern using construction techniques.
- Create a pattern from instructions (in written language).
- Describe (in writing) how to recreate a pattern.
- Let’s construct some creative shapes.
- I can follow directions to construct a pattern.