The purpose of this lesson is for students to build with solid shapes to reinforce counting and comparing concepts.
In previous lessons, students built with solid shapes and described what they built. In this lesson, students create towers, which requires them to consider the attributes of shapes as they determine which shapes stack easily.
- Compose solid shapes to build new shapes.
- Count to answer “how many” questions about groups of up to 20 objects.
- Let’s build with and count solid shapes.
- Make a tower with 16 connecting cubes.
- Each group of 4 students needs 6 cubes, 6 cylinders, and 6 cones.
- Gather materials from:
- Build Shapes, Stages 1-3
- Geoblocks, Stages 1-4
- Counting Collections, Stage 1
- Match Mine, Stages 1 and 2
- Shake and Spill, Stages 1-4
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
How are students working together during centers? Are all students getting the opportunity to participate in the mathematics?
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.