In this lesson students continue to generate two patterns and observe relationships between their corresponding terms. Most of the relationships are more complex in this lesson, involving either multiplication by a fractional amount or both multiplication and addition or subtraction. Students begin to express the relationships between patterns using equations (MP2).
- Given rules, generate two numerical patterns. Identify and explain more complex relationships between corresponding terms.
- Let’s find relationships between patterns.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Can You Draw It? (1–5), Stage 7: Grade 5 Shapes (Addressing)
- Picture Books (K–5), Stage 3: Find Shapes (Addressing)
- Can You Draw It? (1–5), Stage 4: Area and Perimeter (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.