Earlier in this unit students learned how to multiply and how to divide a whole number by a unit fraction or a unit fraction by a whole number. In this lesson, they solve a variety of problems some of which encourage representing and solving with a specific operation.
Activity 1: Info Gap: Tiles
- Solve problems involving multiplication and division with fractions.
- Let’s solve problems involving multiplying and dividing fractions.
Materials to Copy
- Info Gap: Tiles
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 2.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Think about a recent time from class when your students were confused. What did you do to support them in reasoning about their confusion together as a community of learners?
- Compare (1–5), Stage 8: Divide Fractions and Whole Numbers (Addressing)
- Rolling for Fractions (3–5), Stage 5: Divide Unit Fractions and Whole Numbers (Addressing)
- How Close? (1–5), Stage 6: Multiply to 3,000 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.