The purpose of this lesson is for students to solve problems involving division of a unit fraction by a whole number and write equations to represent them.
In the previous lesson, students solved problems involving division of a whole number by a unit fraction. In this lesson, students continue to find quotients of a whole number by a unit fraction. In this lesson, however, they find the value of expressions without being provided a tape diagram. The numbers are not too large, however, so they may still draw a diagram if it is helpful. In the second activity, students look simultaneously at expressions involving quotients of a whole number by a fraction and quotients of a fraction by a whole number.
- Action and Expression
- Divide a whole number by a unit fraction.
- Relate diagrams, situations and expressions that represent division of a whole number by a unit fraction.
- Let's solve problems involving division of a unit fraction by a whole number.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Compare (1–5), Stage 8: Divide Fractions and Whole Numbers (Addressing)
- Rolling for Fractions (3–5), Stage 5: Divide Unit Fractions and Whole Numbers (Addressing)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.