In this optional lesson, students revisit whole number division considering the relationship between dividend, divisor, and quotient. This lesson attends to concepts of division developed since grade 3. Students examine the relationship between the numbers in division problems and compare the size of the quotient by reasoning about the relative sizes of the divisor and dividend. This prepares them to make sense of division involving whole numbers and unit fractions in subsequent lessons.
- Reason about the size of quotients in division problems.
- Let’s think about the size of quotients.
Materials to Gather
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Rolling for Fractions (3–5), Stage 4: Multiply Fractions (Addressing)
- Compare (1–5), Stage 4: Divide within 100 (Supporting)
- How Close? (1–5), Stage 7: Multiply Fractions and Whole Numbers to 5 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.