The purpose of this lesson is for students to compare the value of coin collections and work with shapes.
This lesson is optional because it is an opportunity for extra practice that not all classes may need. In Activity 1, students learn the first stage of the Would You Rather? center. In this stage of the new center, students practice identifying coins and comparing the value of coin collections. In Activity 2, students choose to continue working on Would you Rather?, or choose between two previously introduced centers focused on shapes.
- Describe shapes using defining attributes.
- Find and compare the value of coin collections.
- Recognize and describe shapes seen in picture books.
- Let’s compare coin collections and work with shapes.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Would You Rather Stage 1 Spinner
- Would You Rather Stage 1 Recording Sheet
Gather materials from:
- Would You Rather?, Stage 1
- Picture Books, Stage 3
- How Are They the Same?, Stage 2
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
What did you learn about your students’ understanding of place value and strategies for addition and subtraction as they solved problems with money in this section? How can you leverage and advance student thinking as they add and subtract within 1,000 in the next unit?
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.