The purpose of this lesson is to practice adding and subtracting within 100.
In the first activity, students learn stage 3 of the How Close center. In this new stage, students add 2 two-digit numbers, trying to get as close to 100 as possible. In the second activity, students choose from previously introduced centers focused on two-digit numbers.
- Add within 100.
- Compare addition and subtraction expressions to 20.
- Let’s practice adding and subtracting.
- Gather materials from:
- Target Numbers, Stages 1–3
- Five in a Row, Stages 1–6
- Get Your Numbers in Order, Stage 1
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Identify something you thought was going to go well in math class recently, but did not. What can you do to make it a success next time?
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.