The purpose of this lesson is for students to practice adding and subtracting within 20.
Students learn new stages in two centers that focus on adding and subtracting within 20. Students have opportunities to practice methods such as finding the difference by counting on, taking away, making 10, and using addition facts.
- Action and Expression
- Add and subtract within 20.
- Let’s play games to practice addition and subtraction.
- Create a set of Compare Stage 2 Subtraction Cards for each group of 2.
- Each group of 2 needs a set of Compare Stage 2 Addition Cards from a previous lesson.
- Gather materials from previous centers:
- Compare, Stage 1
- How Close? Stages 1 and 2
- Five in a Row, Stages 1-3
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Reflect on who got to do math today in class. What norms or routines allowed those students to engage in the mathematics? How can you adjust these norms and routines so all students do math tomorrow?
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.