The purpose of this lesson is for students to count 2 groups of images to find the total, within 10.
In a previous lesson, students counted 2 groups of objects to find the total number of objects. In this lesson, students count images and discuss how they counted the 2 groups to find the total number of images.
- Action and Expression
- Count to find the total number of images given two groups of organized images, up to 10.
- Let’s find out how many things there are in two groups.
- Cut out enough 5-frames to make a chart with a space for each student to answer the survey question.
- Cut out a set of cards for each student.
- Each group of 2 needs 2 connecting cubes.
- Gather materials from
- Math Libs, Stage 1
- Match Mine, Stage 1
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||25 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Reflect on how you can reinforce the work done in today’s lesson outside of math class. When can you ask students questions involving finding the total of two groups of objects or images?
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.