In previous lessons, students have represented and solved a variety of Add To, Result Unknown and Take From, Result Unknown story problems. In this optional lesson, students apply what they’ve learned about story problems throughout the section to tell a story problem that includes an action and a question. Students share and solve story problems with their partner. When students change the story to change the action and the mathematical operation of the problem they understand how addition and subtraction model actions in the real world (MP2, MP4).
- Create an addition or subtraction story problem.
- Let’s think of our own story problems.
- Cut out enough 5-frames to make a chart with a space for each student to answer the survey question.
- Each group of 2 needs 10 two-color counters.
- Gather materials from:
- Bingo, Stages 1-3
- Math Fingers, Stages 1-3
- Math Stories, Stages 1 and 2
- Subtraction Towers, Stage 1
- 5-frames, Stages 1 and 2
- Counting Collections, Stage 1
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.