The purpose of this lesson is for students to count collections of objects. The focus is on students representing how they counted.
In the Questions About Us routine, students use 5-frames to determine how many students are at school today. Students then count objects in different collections in a way that makes sense to them and represent their collections. The second activity is an optional activity that provides support in keeping track of which objects have been counted.
- Action and Expression
- Count collections of objects.
- Represent a collection of objects.
Let’s count collections of objects and show how we counted.
- Gather materials from:
- Connecting Cubes, Stages 1, 2, and 3
- Pattern Blocks, Stages 1, 2, and 3
- Geoblocks, Stages 1 and 2
- Picture Books, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.