5.6 More Decimal and Fraction Operations
- Students solve multi-step problems involving measurement conversions, line plots, and fraction operations, including addition and subtraction of fractions with unlike denominators. They also explain patterns when multiplying and dividing by powers of 10 and interpret multiplication as scaling by comparing products with factors.
Section A Goals
- Explain patterns when multiplying and dividing by powers of 10.
- Solve multi-step problems involving measurement conversions.
Section B Goals
- Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators.
- Create line plots to display fractional measurement data, and use the information to solve problems.
- Solve problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions.
Section C Goals
- Interpret multiplication as scaling (resizing).
- Make generalizations about multiplying a whole number by a fraction greater than, less than and equal to 1.
The number of square units that cover a flat figure without gaps or overlaps.
- cubic unitA unit cube with side lengths that are standard measurement units that is used to measure volume.
- power of 10The result of multiplying 10 by itself a given number of times.
- rectangular prismA solid figure which has six faces that are rectangles.
- unit cubeA cube whose sides are 1 unit long, used to measure volume.
- volumeThe number of unit cubes that fill a solid figure without gaps or overlap.