In previous lessons, students composed and decomposed units to add and subtract within 1,000. Students considered which sums and differences within 100 were more or less difficult for them to find.
In this lesson, students develop fluency with adding and subtracting within 100. In the first activity, all students play a new “Heads Up” game to practice fluency. This version of the game “Heads Up: Make 20” is structured differently (groups of 3, different recording directions) from the game in Section A. In the second activity, students choose which center game from previous units to play based on what they know they need to practice. Spinners and cards can be reused if they were saved from previous units or new cards can be printed for the centers and stages recommended for this lesson.
The cool-down should be completed before the lesson synthesis so that students can share their responses during the lesson synthesis
- Add and subtract within 100.
- Let’s fluently add and subtract within 100.
- Create a set of cards from the blackline master for each group of 3.
- Each group of 2 needs access to the cards used in the previous activity.
- Gather materials from previous centers:
- Five in a Row, Stage 6
- Target Numbers, Stages 3–5
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.