Students develop fluency with addition and subtraction within 10 in grade 1. This lesson provides an opportunity for formative assessment of students' fluency within 10, including recognizing sums with a value of 10. Throughout the lesson, monitor for the ways students find the values of sums and differences and how they describe their methods to others. There may be sums and differences students say they "just know." In this case, do not require students to explain how they got their answer every time, and take note of the expressions that many students already know from memory. Counters or connecting cubes should be made available for students to use, however encourage students not to use them if they don’t need them.
In the lesson synthesis, students discuss what it means to be a part of a mathematical community. Prepare a space, such as a piece of poster paper, titled “Math Community” and a T-chart with the header “Doing Math” and "Norms". Partition the columns into two sections: students and teacher. The two sections encourage the students and teacher to be mindful that both respective parties are responsible for the way math is being done in the classroom. In the synthesis of this lesson, students will add their ideas to the "Doing Math" section. In upcoming lessons, students will add to and revise their contributions, including drafting classroom norms.
- Add and subtract within 10.
- Let’s add and subtract within 10.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Number Cards (0-10)
- Create a set of number cards for each group of 2.
- The number cards will be used in upcoming lessons and thoughout the year. Consider copying the cards on cardstock or laminating them for future use.
- Create the math community poster for display in the lesson synthesis.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Number Puzzles: Addition and Subtraction (1–4), Stage 1: Within 10 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.