The purpose of this lesson is for students to add and subtract within 10.
Students add and subtract in a way that makes sense to them as they learn a new stage of the center, Check it Off, and then choose from other center activities introduced in previous lessons. They may use their knowledge of the counting sequence, count all, count on, or count back to find the sum or difference. This lesson provides an opportunity to collect formative assessment data on how students are developing methods for adding and subtracting within 10 that build toward fluency.
In the lesson synthesis, students use their Mathematical Community poster to create norms for the classroom.
- Action and Expression
Activity 1: Introduce Check it Off, Subtract within 10
- Add and subtract within 10 in a way that makes sense to them.
- Let’s add and subtract.
- Each group of 2 needs a set of Number Cards 0-10.
- Gather materials from previous centers:
- Counting Collections, Stage 1
- Number Race, Stage 3
- Check it Off, Stages 1 and 2
- Five in a Row: Addition and Subtraction, Stages 1 and 2
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.