In previous lessons, students counted groups of up to 20 objects and groups of up to 19 images arranged in lines, arrays, and on 10-frames. In this lesson, students count groups of up to 20 images arranged in lines, arrays, circles, and on 10-frames. Students use methods of keeping track of images that they have developed in previous lessons and units and may develop new methods, especially when counting images in circles. Students practice writing numbers 11–20 to represent quantities.
- Action and Expression
Activity 2: Count in Circles
- Keep track of images that have been counted.
- Write a number to answer “how many” questions about groups of up to 20 images.
- Let’s figure out how many shapes there are.
- Gather materials from:
- Find the Value of Expressions, Stage 1
- Make or Break Apart Numbers, Stages 1 and 2
- Bingo, Stages 1-4
|Activity 1||10 min|
|Activity 2||10 min|
|Activity 3||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.