In previous lessons, students estimated the location of numbers on the number line within 100 and learned to locate numbers within 1,000 on the number line. In this lesson, students use the relative position of numbers on the number line to compare three-digit numbers. Students estimate the location of numbers on the number line and consider how the linear representation can help them compare numbers and explain their reasoning (MP3). Throughout the lesson, listen for the ways students make connections to place value as they estimate the location of numbers and compare numbers using the number line.
Activity 1: Compare Comparisons
- Compare three-digit numbers using the relative position of numbers on a number line.
- Let’s compare numbers on the number line.
|Activity 1||20 min|
|Activity 2||15 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Mystery Number (1–4), Stage 2: Three-digit Numbers (Addressing)
- Get Your Numbers in Order (1–5), Stage 1: Two-digit Numbers (Supporting)
- Jump the Line (2–5), Stage 1: Add and Subtract within 100 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.