In previous lessons, students learned to compare three-digit numbers using the number line and base-ten diagrams. In this lesson, students compare three-digit numbers in tasks that do not suggest a particular representation. In the first activity, students complete comparison statements to make them true and are encouraged to explain or show their thinking in a way that makes sense to them. In the second activity, students learn a new stage of the Greatest of Them All center. This activity encourages students to reason about place value as they use digits to make three-digit numbers and compare numbers with their partner.
- Compare three-digit numbers using place value understanding.
- Let’s compare three-digit numbers using place value.
Materials to Gather
Materials to Copy
- Greatest of Them All Stage 2 Recording Sheet
|Activity 1||15 min|
|Activity 2||20 min|
|Lesson Synthesis||10 min|
Teacher Reflection Questions
- Get Your Numbers in Order (1–5), Stage 1: Two-digit Numbers (Supporting)
- Jump the Line (2–5), Stage 1: Add and Subtract within 100 (Supporting)
Print Formatted Materials
For access, consult one of our IM Certified Partners.